Physical Education Instructor
DEPARTMENT: After School
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
REPORTS TO: VP. Of Programs
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time
SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday (4pm to 6pm)
RATE: Commensurate with experience
Children of Promise, NYC (CPNYC) – is a community based organization that provides a year round, unique, integrated service model that meets the distinctive needs of children with an incarcerated parent. CPNYC’s mission is to provide these children with guidance, support and the necessary resources to effectively develop leadership skills, form positive social relationships and enhance academic performance. Implementing the principles and best practices of youth development, this innovative after-school and summer program infuses a mental health model.
Job Description - Instruct elementary and middle school students on healthy living, exercise, and physical fitness. Organize and supervise athletic activity during class and instruct students on proper exercise routines and technique. Construct different lesson plans based on age range of participants to help them develop athletic skills, foster a healthy lifestyle, and have fun exercising.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and instruct students in physical education activities that promote the development of student’s physical attributes and social skills.
- Teach team sports to students, utilizing knowledge of sports techniques.
- Instruct groups in beginning calisthenics, gymnastics, or corrective exercises, determining type and level of difficulty of exercises, corrections needed, and prescribed movements, applying knowledge of sports, physiology, and corrective techniques.
- Manage inventory and storage of relevant supplies and gym equipment
- Lead, organize, instruct, and referee games, such as volleyball and basketball.
- Excellent Verbal Communication Skills
- Good Motivating People
- Ability to work collaboratively with students and other colleagues
- Patient and must possess extensive knowledge of physical fitness, sports, and exercise
- 2 years teaching or relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and NYS Certification in Physical Education is preferred but not required
Submit resumes to Afterschoolcareers@cpnyc.org